Wednesday, August 4, 2010

It's bootie time

Hi, Everyone,

It's a warm Wednesday summer night in San Diego.  I feel good and I'm listening to "the King":  Love me tender.


I have a few new things to show you. First some crocheted booties.  




No idea why I made so many.  They're like potato chips. I just couldn't stop. 


Then I liked the "Peruvian mix" colorway so much,  I got some more and made Dan a hat, Me a hair band, A sutra case and a "manly" pair of slippers, size 11.  Dan doesn't like that style, so we'll see who gets them at Christmas.  Not one of the "big feet" guys, LOL.

 Tonight was the annual stash sale at the Knitting Guild.  I bought this necklace partially finished.  After I got home I finished it.  


Like the Hallmark bag? LOL.  

I made turkey mole today and it was out of this world.  Wanna know how to make it?



Turkey Mole 


Break up about 6 large dried chili peppers into a heat-proof bowl and add  about 2 cups boiling water.  After a few minutes process (blender, food processor, stick blender, etc) until smooth.  We're doing the modern version of the molcajete here.


In a crock pot put:

The chili sauce
1 frozen turkey hindquarter (it will thaw as it cooks)
3 minced cloves garlic
1 large onion, chopped
6 ribs celery, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
3 diced potatoes (after they are well cooked they will thicken the sauce)
1 round Mexican chocolate 
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried oragano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
cayenne to taste for heat ( I used 1/2 teaspoon)
1 cup tomato sauce (leftover marinera is what I used.  A couple of sliced tomatoes works, too.)
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup wine vinegar
pinch dried thyme
Salt and pepper


Add water to cover.  Cook on low 2 hours. Cut the turkey into chunks and return to the pot, including bones.   Stir everything well.  Now that the chocolate and peanut butter are softened, they will mix in easily.  Let 'er rip for another few hours, until the smell is just killing you.  Serve over rice, or anyway you want!  I imagine a vegetarian version could be made by omitting the turkey and adding garbanzo beans and olive oil. 
 
Lilo sez." Hi!"  She's headed out the window to see what is afoot.


Now that I wrote about it,  I have to have a taste of mole before I go to bed. 


Goodnight.
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment