Tuesday, May 4, 2010

French toast

Hello,
It's a beautiful spring Tuesday morning in San Diego, the birds are singing, there is a warm sun and a gentle breeze so it doesn't get too hot.  Perfect! I'm listening to Dvorak's Carnival Overture on XLNC1.  Earlier they played Khachaturian's Spartacus (did I spell that right?)   So romantic.  I need to buy that so I can hear it whenever I want.

Today I am working on finding out how to post a pattern on Ravelry.  I want to share Shannon's Bridal Lace Shawl there, too.  Cross your fingers, I'm not so good at these things. 

We had the yummiest French Toast this morning.  Very eggy and puffy.  I had cooked up some fresh sliced strawberries with some sugar yesterday to make a strawberry compote, so I poured that over the French toast 

French Toast
3 large pieces of white Italian style bread. 
2 jumbo eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Mix the custard up in a flat dish and let the bread soak, flipping it over once, until the mixture is completely absorbed.
In a large frying pan melt 2 pats of butter. Slide in the breads and let them cook until puffy and browned, then flip and brown the other side.  Serve hot with strawberry compote.

I have this quote on the Butsudan:
"Inside of us we are constructing a happiness that is not influenced by external change.
Even in the abyss of anxiety or in the moments of rapture, in the center of our being there will always be this indestructible treasure.
Then we will be able to fully participate in the joys and pains of the world without being dominated by them, with the power to overcome adversities without being crushed by them and to enjoy prosperity without being corrupted by it. "
-Daisaku Ikeda

I like the connotations of the word "constructing".   It allows me to be a work in progress.   Under construction, that's me.  Some days better than others.   It's written on a bookmark card that I got as a take-away gift at a WD meeting, so I do not know where it originally appeared.   I'd love to know where it came from so I could read the whole thing.   Anybody recognize it?

Lilo's in the "dog house", or maybe it's a cat house in her case .  I was listening to my messages on speakerphone so I could brush my teeth at the same time (you ever have a day like that?) and she found the volume just "Too Piercing" so she flattened her ears back and came up and bit my foot.  That cat!  I threw her outside and scolded her.  So now she is sulking.  I never had a cat like that before.  All my other cats were sweet and nice.  She was taken from her mother too soon and it was a struggle to raise her when she was very little.  Maybe that is why.  Maybe her mother never got a chance to teach her manners.  Bother!   After all these years she still thinks she can do that!  Bad kitty...

Tschuss,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment